This is the ultimate guide on how to make money with WordPress. Whether you're just starting out or you've been making a living with WordPress for over a decade, this guide is for you!
We all want to make more money and, thanks to the internet, there are now more ways to make money online than ever before. In this guide, we'll cover how to make money with WordPress.
WordPress powers over 1/3 of websites on the internet! So, if you know how to use WordPress (or are interested in learning) you're already halfway there. Let's get started!
Here's an overview of what we'll cover:
- How Can You Make Money with WordPress?
- But I Don't Have Time, I Need Money Now!
- General Career Advice
- The Ultimate List of Ways to Make Money with WordPress
- Blogging & Writing
- Freelancers & Agencies (Client Work)
- Plugins & Themes
- Recurring Revenue Products & Services
- Memberships & Online Courses
- More Ways to Make Money with WordPress
- Find WordPress & Remote Jobs
- Was this guide helpful?
How Can You Make Money with WordPress?
The great thing is that there are thousands of ways to make money with WordPress. The hardest thing for you will be deciding which one(s). But this is also an advantage because it makes it easy to add supplemental income streams or pivot to a new one if you need to.
So, how do you get started? First you need to decide how you're going to use WordPress to make money. Here are some examples:
- Are you a writer
thatcan write blog posts and articles?
- Are you a developer that can build WordPress plugins or themes?
- Are you a marketer that can sell products?
- Are you a WordPress generalist that can put together websites with existing plugins and themes?
- Are you a designer that can design websites or graphics for websites?
- Are you a photography that can take pictures for sites?
The easiest way to get started is by leveraging a skill you already have. If you don't have a skill then you need to build one. You want to grow and leverage a skill because that's where the real money is. The better (or rarer) the skill or asset, the more valuable it is.
Once you have a skill you have the option to create an asset that other people value. With the asset, you could sell access to it or monetize traffic that it creates. For example:
- If you're a writer you could create a resource site on a certain topic or a useful/entertaining blog to monetize the traffic.
- If you're a developer you could create a plugin or theme to sell.
- If you're a photographer you could create a niche collection of premium images to sell.
- If you're a designer you could create
high-qualitylogos for companies.
- If you're a marketer you could create a WordPress site to sell products and generate income via affiliate commissions.
These are all options, but they require you to have a skill or to create an asset. It takes time to build skills and create assets, but it's worth it because it sets you apart and gives you something valuable to generate income for years to come.
If you believe you already have a marketable skill and want to find work (either full-time or part-time), then check out our WordPress and Remote job listings page with a curated list of hundreds of job sites.
But I Don't Have Time, I Need Money Now!
Ok…well, there are ways to make money faster. For example, you could find quick tasks on Amazon's Mechanical Turk, but that doesn't pay much. Why? Because people are a commodity and it's largely unskilled, undifferentiated labor. To make more you need to set yourself apart with an asset or a skill.
Here's a better example of how this works: think about Uber drivers. By having a car and driving record that meets the minimum standard, Uber drivers get instant access to work that pays more on average than Mechanical Turk (described above). This goes further for Uber drivers with luxury cars, accessibility, are bilingual and more. Skills and assets = more money.
Building skills and assets takes time, but you can often accelerate this with money. For example, you could hire someone to help you, buy an existing business, buy a course or buy better tools.
When just starting out it's usually better to spend as little money as possible while you're experimenting since you don't let know what you'll want to do–you need the freedom to experiment and minimizing your investment helps.
General Career Advice
Before we dive in, if you're here looking for full-time work (e.g. not just a side job or hobby) remember to think long-term. Think about what you want for career, not just a job. Jobs are temporary and those with jobs are easy to replace. You want a career where you're learning, growing, your work is valued and you're compensated accordingly.
There are 4 keys to finding well-paying work that maximizes your chance of success and building wealth:
- Find work that you’re good at (or willing to become good at) and willing to invest in continuously improving.
- Find work that the world values (so you get paid well for it). Being great at something doesn't matter much if nobody is willing to pay you well for it.
- Find work that you could enjoy doing because you’ll have to put in a lot of hours to get good. Don't confuse this with finding your passion–passion tends to come naturally after you get good. For a book on this, check out So Good They Can't Ignore You.
- Find work that doesn’t require luck or getting picked (e.g. pop singer, NBA, etc.). You want something where you're in control and don't have to rely on chance or being discovered.
If you're interested in learning more about the basics of earning money (especially earning money online), then I highly recommend reading our article on how to make money online working from home. The goal of the article is to equip you with the right mindset to be more successful.
With that context, let's dive in to all of the ways you can earn more money with WordPress.
The Ultimate List of Ways to Make Money with WordPress
Hopefully, all of that context above helps you think about how to approach this. When going through the list of ways, keep these key criteria in mind:
- What existing skills do you have or what are you most interested in learning?
- What do you enjoy enough to stick with long-term?
Now, onto the comprehensive list of ways to make money (or make more money) with WordPress!
Blogging & Writing
Blogging is one of the most popular money making strategies in WordPress and it's easy to get started: all it takes is a knack for writing and WordPress Hosting. But building a successful blog takes consistent, hard work.
One of the most popular ways to make money blogging is with affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing seems like one of the oldest ways to make money on the internet, yet it's still incredibly popular and can immensely profitable! Affiliate marketing is great (especially for bloggers) because it's an easy way to get started and learn how to sell since it doesn't require a product–you sell others' products.
The articles below will show you hot to find success
- How to Make a Business Out of Blogging
- The Beginner Guide to Affiliate Marketing with Your Blog
- How to Start a WordPress Blog
- 6 Ways to Monetize a WordPress Blog
- The Ultimate WordPress Blogger Resource List
- On Making Money Blogging
- How to Double Your Chances of Success with a Blog Content Strategy
- How to Get a Blogging Job
- How Bloggers Can Make Money Freelancing
- 6 Ways to Make Money Blogging
- 3 Ways to Make Money With a WordPress Blog
- Make More Money from a WordPress Blog with Niches
- How to Make Money with a WordPress Blog
- The Key to Making Money from Your Blog: Great Content
- 5 Proven Ways to Make Money with Your WordPress Blog
- How to Transition from Blogger to Entrepreneur
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Monetizing a Blog with Affiliate Marketing
- 3 Ways to Monetize an Established WordPress Blog
- A Beginner's Guide on How to Make Money Blogging
- 25 Proven Ways to Make Money with a WordPress Blog
Freelancers & Agencies (Client Work)
In terms of opportunities to make money with WordPress, freelancing is among the best and by far the most versatile. You can get started with gig sites, take a consultative path, start at an agency before striking it on your own, or focus on a particular niche and client type.
Competition is high, but so are the number of opportunities. I'd wager the opportunities are still growing faster than
- 7 Tips on Value Based Pricing
- How to Price Your WordPress Website Services
- How WordPress Freelancers Can Stand Out & Win More Clients
- 5 Tips to Improve Your Freelance Business
- Should You Raise Your Rates?
- How WordPress Freelancers Can Find a Niche
- How to Talk to Your Clients About Profitable Projects
- How to Succeed as a WordPress Freelancer
- How to Niche Your Website Design Business
- 5 Ways to Market Your Website Design Business
- The Best & Worst Types of Clients for Agencies
- How to Get Leads & Sales for Your Freelance Business with Online Quizzes
- How to Build Recurring Revenue with Existing WordPress Clients
- The #1 Way to Get More Sales From Existing Clients
- The Ultimate WordPress Freelancer & Agency Resource List
- 10 Steps to Success as a WordPress Consultant
- Tired of Freelancing? 3 Ways Stop Freelancing & Make More Money
- Should You Ever do WordPress Client Work for Free?
- The WordPress Freelancer's Guide to Building Your Professional Network
- How to Start Outsourcing & Build a Team for Your Agency
- How to Make Your WordPress Site Attract High Quality Clients
- How to Attract Higher Paying Clients for Your WordPress Freelance Business
- How to Set Yourself Up for Success with New Clients: Expectations & Onboarding
- 5 Ways WordPress Freelancers Can Diversify Income
- How to Grow Your WordPress Business with Fiverr
- How Company Blogs Can Earn You More Clients & Projects
- A Guide to Finding Your Perfect Clients
- How to Start Freelancing & Get Your First Client
- 15 Questions to Make Killer Client Proposals
- How to Close More Leads With the Anti-Follow Up
- The WordPress Web Developer Honor Code
- The Ultimate WordPress Web Design Client Project Questionnaire
- 5 Ideas for Generating WordPress Web Design Leads
- 25 Ways for WordPress Freelancers to Get More Leads
- How to Start & Grow a Freelance Business: The Ultimate Guide
- 10 Ways to Make More Money as a WordPress Freelancer
- Why & How WordPress Freelancers Should Diversify Income
- 24 Ways WordPress Web Professionals Can Diversify Income
- 8 Tips for Creating a Successful WordPress Web Design Agency
- 50+ Tools to Make Your WordPress Freelance Business Scale
- 5 Ways to Create a Winning Marketing Strategy for Your WordPress Agency
- How (& Why) You Can Make More Money by Retaining Clients
- 2 Skills for Successful WordPress Freelancers & Agencies
- How to Start a WordPress Web Development Business
- 20 Ways to Find More WordPress Clients
- How to Sell Marketing as a Product
- How to Build a Successful WordPress Consulting Business
- Lead Generation for Small Businesses (the Right Way!)
- WordPress Pros vs. Website Builders: The Role of WordPress Professionals
- The Ultimate Guide to Bookkeeping for Freelancers
- How to Get More Clients
- Make More Money by Automating Your WordPress Business
- Should WordPress Freelancers Show Rates & Pricing on Their Website?
- How to Pick a Domain Name for a Business Website
- When is it Time to Revamp a Small Business Website? Here are 9 Ways to Know
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for Business Websites
- Why 50% of Small Businesses Still Don't Have Websites (& How to Leverage This Opportunity)
P.S. Don't forget to check out the Recurring Revenue Products & Services section below as a way to add recurring income to your business!
Plugins & Themes
With over 50,000 plugins, the WordPress plugin business is huge. No matter how many plugins there are, there always seems to be room for new, better plugins that solve new or existing problems better.
With major changes in WordPress like Gutenberg, there will certainly be room for thousands more new plugins. Will yours be one of them?
The theme business has also been changing since the glory days of WordPress theme shops. The is due to a number of factors from high competition
Though the nature of theme building is changing, the desire for an attractive site is still strong and competition is lower than it used to be.with Gutenberg shifting the paradigm.
Check out the resources below to increase the chances of success for your WordPress plugin or theme business.
- An Inside Look at a Successful WordPress Plugin Business with Pippin Williamson
- An Interview with Pippin Williamson of Restrict Content Pro, AffiliateWP & Easy Digital Downloads
- How Beaver Builder Became One of the Most Popular Page Builder Plugins in WordPress
- Pippin's Plugins “Year in Review” Posts
- The Ultimate WordPress Plugin & Theme Developer Resource List
- How to Monetize a WordPress Plugin: Premium vs. AddOns
- How a WordPress Agency Turned its Custom Plugins & Themes into Recurring Income
- 4 Lessons Learned From Building a Freemium WordPress Plugin
- Is WordPress Premium Theme Business Dying?
- The Future of Selling WordPress Themes
- How to Price WordPress Add-Ons & Extensions
- How the WordPress Product Market is Changing
- 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Release a Premium WordPress Plugin
- WordPress Plugin & Theme Developers: Raise Your Prices!
- Are Themes Still a Profitable WordPress Business?
- The Big Business of Small WordPress Plugins
- How Beaver Builder Became a Top WordPress Page Builder Plugin
- 4 Key WordPress Business Tips From Top Plugin Makers
- How to Manage License Renewal for Premium Themes: Automatic vs. Manual Renewals
- How to Win at SEO on the WordPress Plugin Repository
- Launching a WordPress Plugin or Theme? Use This List of 60+ Sites to Jumpstart Sales
- Selling WordPress Plugins Directly vs. on CodeCanyon Compared
- How to Increase WordPress Plugin 5-Star Reviews by 700%
- 5 Mistakes That Will Kill Your WordPress Plugin Profits
- How to Make Your WordPress Plugin More Successful
- Why (& How) to Capture User Emails for WordPress Plugins & Themes
- How to Sustain Growth after Launching WordPress Plugins & Themes
- 10 Ways To Market Your WordPress Product
- Should You Sell Premium WordPress Themes on ThemeForest?
- How to Manage WordPress Plugin & Theme Renewal Discounts
- How to Offer Free Trials for Your WordPress Plugins or Themes Business
- How to Sell WordPress Themes & Plugins to Enterprise Customers
- How to Make More Revenue Selling WordPress Plugins & Themes
- How to Transition from Web Design to WordPress Plugins Without Drowning in Support
- How to Build & Grow a Successful WordPress Plugin Business
- The Right Way to Start a WordPress Theme Business
- Understanding Who Buys Premium WordPress Themes
- Are Freemium Plugins Better than Free Plugins in WordPress?
- A $2,000 Pricing Lesson for WordPress Plugins & Themes
- How to Price WordPress Plugins
- Selling WordPress Plugins & Themes: Should You Go Niche?
- Should You Put Your Plugin or Theme in the WordPress Repository?
- How to Offer Lifetime WordPress Plugin & Theme Licenses
- Why the WordPress Plugin Industry is Worth Over $1 Billion
- How This WordPress Page Builder Plugin Earned $9,000 in Its First Month
- Interview with WP Migrate DB Pro Founder Brad Touesnard
- Growing a Plugin or Theme Business in the Saturated WordPress Market
- How to Use Email Marketing Automation to Grow Conversion Rates for WordPress Products
- The Ultimate Guide to Creating a Successful WordPress Plugin Business
- How to Build Relationships with WordPress Plugin Buyers
- How to Sell a WordPress Plugin Business
- Live Stream Coding: Market Your Product & Write Code Simultaneously
- How to Launch a Successful Affiliate Program for WordPress Themes & Plugins
- How Automatic License Renewals for Premium WordPress Plugins & Themes Increases Revenue (20 months of data)
- Increasing Prices 50% – 250% in a WordPress Plugin Business: Reasons & Reflections
- How Your WordPress Plugin or Theme Business can Leverage Black Friday & Cyber Monday to Increase Sales
- WordPress Plugin Business: Freemium vs. Premium Business Models
- How to Boost Your Number of Plugin Installs in the WordPress Plugin Repository with GIFs
- How to Run a Successful WordPress Plugin & Theme Business
- How to Make Money Selling Plugins on CodeCanyon
- How to Make Money Selling Themes on ThemeForest
- How Make a WordPress Plugin from Start to Finish
- Why SaaS is the Future of Monetization for WordPress Plugin WordPress Developers
Recurring Revenue Products & Services
Recurring revenue services like WordPress maintenance have gained popularity in recent years. It can be very lucrative due to the recurring nature of the business–especially when combined with freelancing and agency services.
Maintenance services as well as products and productized services are highly flexible. They're a great addition to any business model to add diversified, recurring income. See the articles below for how to make money with recurring revenue products and services.
- How to Grow a Lifestyle Business Without Losing the Lifestyle
- The Guide to Starting a WordPress Maintenance Business
- How to Launch a Digital Product
- How to Productize Your WordPress Consulting Services
- All About Running a WordPress Product & Services Business
- The Ultimate WordPress Resource List for Selling Products, Services & Generating Recurring Revenue
- How to Build a WordPress SaaS Product
- Why Recurring Revenue is Good for WordPress Businesses
- How to Grow Recurring Revenue with Content Creation for Clients
- How to Add Recurring Income to Your WordPress Business
- Add Recurring Revenue to Your WordPress Business with Client Reports
- Why (& How) to Use Value-Based Pricing to Sell WordPress Products & Services
- 7 Steps to Building a Profitable Productized WordPress Service
- 3 Productized Service Examples to Add to Your WordPress Business
- Why WordPress Professionals Should Consider Productized Services
- 10 Productized Service Examples to Start Earning More Money
- How to Earn $15,000+/mo. with Productized Services
- How WordPress Professionals Can Make More Money with Reseller Hosting
- How to Sell Services with WordPress Using WooCommerce & Easy Digital Downloads
- How to Add Recurring Income with WordPress Website Maintenance Plans Using ManageWP
- How to Price WordPress Products & Services
- How WordPress Freelancers Can Build Recurring Revenue
- The #1 Way to Add Recurring Revenue to a WordPress Freelance or Agency Business
- 6 Services to Add to a WordPress Maintenance Business to Boost Recurring Revenue
- How to Productize a Freelance Business
- 7 Questions to Answer Before Launching a WordPress Maintenance Business
- A Guide to Refunds for Digital Products
- How to Launch a WordPress Maintenance Service for Recurring Revenue
- How to Sell with WordPress
See all articles on how to make money with recurring revenue products & services or find work on our WordPress & Remote job listings.
Memberships & Online Courses
Memberships as a business are quite broad, including everything from specialty content you create (audio, writing, photography, recipes, etc.) you create to organizational memberships (clubs, professional organizations, training, etc.).
Regardless of the membership type, WordPress membership sites are a great way to make money because they stretch far beyond the WordPress ecosystem–there's no limit. Online courses are a similarly effective monetization strategy.
With memberships and Online courses you get to leverage the full power of the WordPress ecosystem without being restricted to it: the best of both worlds. Use the resources below to build the membership or online course business as great as your ambitions!
- The Ultimate Guide to Creating & Selling Online Courses
- How to Make More Money with Your WordPress Membership Site Using All Access Passes
- How to Sell Corporate & Team Memberships on Your WordPress Site
See all articles on how to make money with memberships and online courses or find work on our WordPress & Remote job listings.
More Ways to Make Money with WordPress
Though we've discussed the most popular ways to make money with WordPress above, there are dozens more, for example Customer Support, working as a Virtual Assistant, Design work (user experience, graphic design, web design, etc.) and dozens more.
If you're still looking for that perfect way to make money with WordPress that utilizes your skills, you love doing and get well-compensated for then continue browsing then browse the articles below. You deserve to find the perfect career and you eventually will!
- How to Sell Other People's Products
- How to Monetize Your Website with the Brave Browser
- How to Monetize a WordPress Business Directory
- How to Make Money Online Working from Home in 2019 (the RIGHT way!)
- How to Make Money with WordPress: The Ultimate Guide for 2019
- 5 Ways to Make Money with WordPress
- 10 Proven Ways to Start Making Money with WordPress
- The Top 12 Digital Products to Sell Online
- A Guide to Making Money with Curated Content Websites on WordPress
- 14 Things You Can Make With WordPress (& Maybe Make Money!)
- 21 Ways to Make Money with WordPress
- Not sure what WordPress Product to build? Read this!
- How to Build a Successful Career with WordPress
- The Ultimate List of WordPress & Remote Job Sites
- How to Sell Audio & Music Online with WordPress
- How to Get Started as a Hosting Reseller Using Web Hosting Manager (WHM)
- How to Make an Extra $1,000 a Month on the Side with WordPress in 90 Days (Even if You Have a Full-Time Job)
- How to Start Making Money with Your Skills
- How to use Referral & Affiliate Programs to Earn More Money with Your WordPress Website
- Income Reports from Entrepreneurs on Fire: Lessons to Build Your Business
- Income Reports from Smart Passive Income: Learn to Build Your Business
- Why Passive Income Websites are a Waste of Time (& How WordPress Can Earn You More Money)
- 9 Ways to Make Money with Your WordPress Website
- 9 Ways to Make Living With WordPress
- The Ultimate List of 30 Killer Ways to Make Money with WordPress
- 8 More Ways to Start Earning Money with WordPress
Find WordPress & Remote Jobs
Last but not least, we've also compiled a curated list of hundreds of job listing websites, newsletters
Was this guide helpful?
How can we make this guide better?
- What did you like?
- What didn't you like?
- What questions do you still have?
- What are you still struggling with?
Please let us know on our contact page.
Was this guide helpful? If so, please share it!